Coahoma County Tourism Director
Tourism Director will be responsible for executing the Marketing Plan of Coahoma County. This Manager will facilitate an active relationship with hotels/restaurants & attractions in the Coahoma County area. Work involves marketing Coahoma County to stimulate economic development and promote tourism. Meets monthly with a Coahoma County Tourism Commission and reports directly to the Coahoma County Tourism Commission.
Tasks to be performed include, but are not limited to:
• Work with the Coahoma County Tourism Commission, established by the BOS, to develop strategies, programs, and policies to promote tourism.
• Develop and implement a tourism marketing plan for Coahoma County working closely with hotels/motels, restaurants and other county attractions.
• Maintain tourism budget
• Oversee creative message development
• Organize various media information and make affordable and effective media buys to promote tourism in Coahoma County.
• Oversee design/printing of marketing publications
• Plan new research-based advertising strategies for current and subsequent years that will increase leisure travel market share.
• Develop relationships with national, international and regional tourism based publications and writers, tours operators and travel agents.
• Prepare and release press kit to media; build campaigns and stories for unique selling points
• Design, develop and conduct familiarization tours of Coahoma County for media, event planning, tour operators and travel agents.
• Implement cooperative advertising programs integrating the tourism related segments that exist in Coahoma County (merchants, food/lodging, wineries, the Arts,
recreation, state parks and the fairground) • Promote attractions & community events to visitors
• Contribute to and monitor the flow of new web content. Coordinate with the web maintenance provider to create a bi-monthly report on the effectiveness of the
• Provide education program for hotel/motel personnel on attractions/events in Coahoma County
• Gather data and prepare annual tourism situational analysis for the Coahoma County Tourism Committee, the Board of Supervisors and
Chambers and Downtown Associations
• Participate in radio talk shows; provide current and updated information to the press.
• Represent the County in joint planning sessions to establish regional tourism activities; serve local committees that enhance tourism and foster economic
• Attend meeting, seminars, conventions, and workshops to further knowledge, stay informed of the changes in the tourism industry, and exchange information.
• Coordinate special events.
• Prepare and deliver presentations to both local and regional civic and governmental organizations on Tourism.
• Design, develop and implement in-service training programs for staff volunteers.
• Prepare monthly reports on ad negotiations and placements. Keep updated advertising history files and archives ad materials. Collect necessary and pertinent
travel research and reports findings.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
A. Knowledge of tourism industry
B. Knowledge of Coahoma County area
C. Must be a self-starter with ability to work with volunteers
D. Must be computer literate
E. Experience in marketing presentations
F. Able to design and compose publications
G. Accountability Criteria (examples)
1. Implementation of marketing plan
2. Presence at community events
3. Attendance at Chamber events
4. Hotel/Attractions partnership is maintained
5. Marketing/Chamber publications are coordinated/streamlined
6. Publicity generated for Coahoma County as tourism destination
7. Increase in hotel lodging Tax
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree in marketing, public relations, or a closely related field, and 1 to 2 years experience in marketing or public relations work; or any combination of training and experience which provide the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS OR STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM
Knowledge of Job: Understanding and experience with the policies and procedures, organization and functions of a Tourism Department is important to performing this role. Existing knowledge of the geographic layout of the County, including tourist attractions is desirable as well as knowledge of the tourist attractions of the surrounding areas. Familiarization with the available resources of the County and the surrounding region is also considered a plus. General knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, equipment, modern accounting and bookkeeping methods, policies, procedures and practices is a necessary skill set. Working knowledge of the principles and practices of supervision and the ability to supervise a small group of employees is a necessary attribute. The ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form is mandatory. The successful applicant must be capable of exercising independent judgment, discretion and initiative while utilizing tact and courtesy in frequent contact with business and industrial representatives, government officials and the general public.
This position requires a combination of education and/or experience equal to five years in tourism, hospitality sales, marketing, or public relations. An emphasis will be placed on those who have worked with the promotion of tourism and those who have marketing experience. Demonstrated skills in planning, organization and effective communication are essential. Previous experience in a Convention and Visitors Bureau is highly desirable. Previous experience with an advertising agency and/or with media negotiations is helpful.
Initiative and Enthusiasm: Maintains an enthusiastic, self-reliant and self -starting approach to meet job responsibilities and accountabilities. Strives to anticipate work to be done and initiates proper and acceptable direction for the completion of work with a minimum of supervision and instruction.